EAST SIDE HIGHWAY DISTRICT
Serving Eastern Kootenai County since 1971.
Springston bridge Closure
East Side Highway District has closed the Springston Bridge on Anderson Lake Road over the Coeur d'Alene River due to safety concerns following routine inspection and load rating analysis by the Idaho Transportation Department (ITD). The closure was received from ITD on January 28, and the bridge was closed immediately.
The bridge is located about two miles above the Highway 97 bridge at Harrison, and was historically used for access to the Russell & Pugh Lumber Mill and a train depot, both of which no longer exist. The bridge was built in 1955 and the timber portions of the structure have significantly deteriorated. We believe the center steel truss span was repurposed from a bridge near Payette, Idaho that was built in 1911. The District has begun the process of reviewing the future of the bridge. For now, we do hope to be able to keep it open to maintain pedestrian and bicycle traffic to the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes'.
The East Side Highway District was formed in 1971 by an act of the Idaho State Legislature which consolidated eight highway districts and the Kootenai County Road Department. There are now 4 independent highway districts in Kootenai County.
Our maintenance jurisdiction spans from slightly within the City of Coeur d Alene boundary going east to the Shoshone County line and south to the Benewah County line. Our District is divided into 3 areas. You will see these referred to as sub districts throughout our documents and website. A detailed description of these three sub districts is available upon request.
We maintain a total of 242.582 miles of roadway. Of those miles, 127.895 are dirt/gravel or treated gravel. The remaining 114.686 miles are hard surface roadways. There are 22 bridges in our jurisdiction along with several railroad crossings, and levees.